- 350 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 10 ml sumac (in Indian spice shops)
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 5 ml cumin seeds
- 5 ml fine cinnamon
- 30 ml orange flower water
- 1 whole chicken
- 250 g dried pears
- 100 g preserved lemon (at delis)
- 1 big onion, cut into chunks
- 150 g pine nuts
- 50 g sultanas
- big handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 50 g pumpkin seeds
- fresh rocket
- 15 ml sesame seeds
- 4 fresh figs, quartered
Combine the stock, garlic, sumac, chilli, cumin, cinnamon and orange flower water. Put the chicken in the middle of a tagine.
Arrange the rest of the ingredients around the chicken, except the rocket, sesame and figs. Pour the stock mixture over the chicken and sprinkle with some more sumac if you wish.
Cover the tagine and put it on the coals or in the oven for about 1½ – 2 hours. Remove from the heat and garnish with the rocket, sesame and figs.