Feijoada - pork and beans
(Serves 4 - 6)
- 300 g black beans
- 30 ml olive oil
- 700 g smoked pork strips, cubed
- 400 g kassler chops, cubed
- 4 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 250 ml red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Put beans in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and soak in the same water overnight. Preheat oven to 180 °C. Heat olive oil in an oven pan. Brown the meat. Add chorizo, onion and garlic and cook for another 10 minutes. Add stock, bay leaves and red wine and season with salt and black pepper. Add beans and cover. Put in the oven for about 2 hours until beans are soft. If it becomes dry, you can add water.
To drink: Definitely red - try a merlot.