Healthier honeycomb cream
serves 6 – 12
- 50 g sugar
- 120 g cake flour
- pinch of salt
- 50 g butter
- 125 ml milk
- 125 ml golden syrup
- 10 ml brown vinegar
- 5 ml baking soda
- 2 big eggs, beaten
- 5 ml vanilla or caramel essence
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C.
2. Sieve the sugar, flour and salt together.
3. Heat butter and milk over low heat until butter is melted. Add golden syrup, stir, and allow to cool until lukewarm. Stir the vinegar and baking soda through.
4. Add milk mixture, beaten eggs and flavouring to flour mixture and stir well until smooth.
5. Pour into a buttered oven dish of 22 x 22 x 8 cm and bake for 35 – 40 minutes until done and golden brown.
Serve with custard made with low fat milk, or with low kilojoule ice cream or vanilla flavoured low fat yoghurt