A delicious Mealie scones breakfast recipe
Makes about 8 scones
• 280 g (500 ml) cake flour
• 20 ml baking powder
• pinch of salt
• 315 ml milk
• 25 ml sunflower oil
• 1 egg
• ½ x 340 g tin corn, drained
• 1 beaten egg
1. Heat oven to 180 °C. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl.
2. Beat milk, oil and egg together in a bowl.
3. Add corn to sifted flour mixture and mix well. Add beaten milk mixture. Mix well until it forms a dough. The dough may seem wet, but that’s as it should be.
4. Turn out on a floured surface and press flat with your hands until it’s about 4 cm thick. Press out with a round cookie cutter of about 6 – 8 cm in diameter. Place scones on a lined baking tray and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove and serve hot with butter.
Mealies are always great, whether in a tin or cooked on the cob. On top of that they’re really versatile and can be used in any number of dishes – from bread to tarts, and vetkoek to flapjacks
More ways with mealies
Edition SARIE FOOD April / May 2014 | Story More ways with mealies| Recipe Mealie scones