Thai green curry with whole fish
- 500 ml sunflower oil
- 1 firm fish, head and tail removed (blueskin, gurnard, panga, white stumpnose)
- 30 ml Thai green chilli paste
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 250 ml coconut cream
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 ml salt
- 13 ml brown sugar
- 13 ml soy sauce
- 2 Thai lime leaves
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 60 ml water
- handful of fresh basil and coriander leaves
- 4 red chillis
Heat sunflower oil in a wok or large pot. Cut thin notches in the fish and fry until done. Keep to one side in a warm spot. Spoon 10 ml of the hot oil into a pot and sauté the green chilli paste and onions in it for 1 minute. Add coconut cream, garlic, salt, brown sugar, soy sauce, Thai lime leaves, basil leaves and water. Cook for 5 minutes. Spoon into serving bowls, garnish with fresh basil, coriander and a whole chilli each and serve with the fish, or pour the sauce directly over the fish.
A wooded chardonnay like KWV Cathedral Cellar’s.
*Visit http://sassi.icecreamlovestheweb.com to learn about sustainable fishery.