Whole roast chicken with vegetables
(Serves 4 - 6)
- 125 g soft butter (not margarine)
- Handful fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 whole chicken
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 150 ml olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 whole leeks
- 1 butternut, skin intact, sliced
- 8 Mediterranean potatoes (nick the skin about 4 times)
Preheat oven to 180 °C. Combine butter, sage, garlic and lemon zest. Mix well. Loosen the skin on the breast area of the chicken so you can push the filling in under the skin. Put chicken in oven-roasting dish and pour over lemon juice and half the olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes. Arrange vegetables around the chicken. Pour over rest of olive oil, just over the vegetables. Cover dish with tin foil and roast for another hour until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
To drink: La Motte Chardonnay if you'd like white, Bilton Merlot if you prefer red.