Lees jou gunsteling-tydskrifte en -koerante nou alles op een plek teen slegs R99 p.m. Word 'n intekenaar
Nuus
Alleged serial rapist appears in High Court

An alleged serial rapist from Zwelihle is set to go on trial in the Western Cape High Court soon.

The 29-year-old man allegedly kidnapped, robbed, assaulted and raped 15 women from Zwelihle and Mount Pleasant during a three-year-long reign of terror.

He made his first appearance in the Western Cape High Court on Friday 31 May during a pre-trial hearing.

Court papers state that the accused faces 18 charges of rape, 14 of kidnapping, 11 counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances and two of assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

The alleged serial rapist’s modus operandi was to threaten his victims with a knife and force them to walk with him to the old dump site known as Die Mop, situated between Mount Pleasant and Zwelihle, where he would rape them. Several victims were allegedly also robbed of their cellphones and cash.

Attacked

In the first incident in August 2015 the accused allegedly broke into a house in Zwelihle. He faces charges of housebreaking with intent to rape and a count of rape in connection with this incident.

The second rape reportedly took place a month later, on 17 September. Information contained in court documents state the accused allegedly raped five more victims between 14 October and 21 December 2015.

The accused also faces several charges in connection with six incidents that took place in March, April, May, June and December 2016. The next rape is said to have taken place on 23 March 2017, with no further rapes that year linked to the accused.

It is alleged the accused raped another woman on 17 February 2018. He allegedly raped a teenager the following month.

His reign of terror ended in March 2018, when patrolling police officers stopped a suspicious-looking man near Die Mop and discovered a knife, stocking, balaclava and a roll of toilet paper in his possession.

The suspect was initially released due to a lack of evidence, but was re-arrested two months later when investigators received the results of DNA tests positively linking him to 11 cases. More charges were added at a later stage.

The alleged serial rapist’s youngest victim is said to have been a 14-year-old girl who had reportedly been raped repeatedly and robbed of her cellphone and other possessions. He faces three counts of rape, a count of kidnapping and another of robbery with aggravating circumstances in connection with the incident.

The accused abandoned his bail application last year.

At the time of going to print, the outcome of the pre-trial hearing was not known yet.

MyStem: Het jy meer op die hart?

Stuur jou mening van 300 woorde of minder na MyStem@netwerk24.com en ons sal dit vir publikasie oorweeg. Onthou om jou naam en van, ‘n kop-en-skouers foto en jou dorp of stad in te sluit.

Ons kommentaarbeleid

Netwerk24 ondersteun ‘n intelligente, oop gesprek en waardeer sinvolle bydraes deur ons lesers. Lewer hier kommentaar wat relevant is tot die onderwerp van die artikel. Jou mening is vir ons belangrik en kan verdere menings of ondersoeke stimuleer. Geldige kritiek en meningsverskille is aanvaarbaar, maar hierdie is nie ‘n platform vir haatspraak of persoonlike aanvalle nie. Kommentaar wat irrelevant, onnodig aggressief of beledigend is, sal verwyder word. Lees ons volledige kommentaarbeleid hier

Kontak Hermanus Times Kontak ons
Stemme

Hallo, jy moet ingeteken wees of registreer om artikels te lees.