Lees jou gunsteling-tydskrifte en -koerante nou alles op een plek teen slegs R99 p.m. Word 'n intekenaar
Nuus
Six confirmed cases

The Novel Coronavirus has claimed the lives of five fellow South Africans and at the time of going to print on Wednesday afternoon, there were 348 positive cases in the Western Cape and 1 353 in South Africa.

There was some confusion as to the number of infections in the Overberg, as the Overberg District Municipality put the number at seven on Tuesday, while the Western Cape Government’s numbers reflected six cases. Roche Butler, spokesperson for the Western Cape Department of Health in the Overberg District, confirmed on Wednesday morning that there are six confirmed cases in the Overberg; five in the Overstrand and one case in Theewaterskloof. She says the mistake was due to the fact that sometimes patients are tested in a different area or district than their home address. The one positive patient was allocated to the Swellendam subdistrict, as that is where the patient was tested. However, the allocation was amended later as the patient is isolating at their home, which is not in the Swellendam subdistrict. Swellendam also has no confirmed cases as reported by the Western Cape Department of Health earlier.

In a press release by the Western Cape Government, Premier Alan Winde confirmed in the Western Cape, 13 people had been hospitalised. “We currently have 13 people in hospital, with three patients being treated in ICU. We can also confirm that 50 people who previously tested positive for Covid-19 in the City of Cape Town have fully recovered from their symptoms. All of them have completed their 14-day period of self-isolation, and can now, in accordance with guidelines set out by the NICD, leave isolation,” says Winde.

Butler confirmed to Hermanus Times there are currently no confimed cases of Covid-19 in Zwelihle, as rumoured on social media.

“I can confirm that nobody from Zwelihle has tested positive for the Coronavirus. We urge people from all communities in the Overberg to help us stop the spread of the virus by staying home.

“If you have flu-like symptoms, please call the provincial hotline on 021 928 4102 or your nearest clinic. They will advise you what to do next,” says Butler.

On Sunday 29 March, Winde announced that the first case of Covid-19 in a township was confirmed and that there was a positive test in the densely populated township Khayelitsha in Cape Town.

“Our response teams are treating the development of cases in our informal areas with the urgency and seriousness it deserves, following up with every contact and ensuring isolation,” says Winde.

Western Cape traffic chief, Kenny Africa, says since the start of the lockdown 603 people have been arrested in the Western Cape province for not adhering to the regulations with regards to the lockdown.

“It seems that there are still people that don’t care for the regulations.

“The police, law enforcement and traffic-officers will have a no-nonsense approach to people who do not adhere to these regulations. Please stay at home,” says Africa.

MyStem: Het jy meer op die hart?

Stuur jou mening van 300 woorde of minder na MyStem@netwerk24.com en ons sal dit vir publikasie oorweeg. Onthou om jou naam en van, ‘n kop-en-skouers foto en jou dorp of stad in te sluit.

Ons kommentaarbeleid

Netwerk24 ondersteun ’n intelligente, oop gesprek en waardeer sinvolle bydraes deur ons lesers. Lewer hier kommentaar wat relevant is tot die onderwerp van die artikel. Jou mening is vir ons belangrik en kan verdere menings of ondersoeke stimuleer. Geldige kritiek en meningsverskille is aanvaarbaar, maar dit is nie 'n platform vir haatspraak of persoonlike aanvalle nie. Kommentaar wat irrelevant, onnodig aggressief of beledigend is, sal verwyder word. Lees ons volledige kommentaarbeleid hier.

Kontak Hermanus Times Kontak ons
Stemme

Hallo, jy moet ingeteken wees of registreer om artikels te lees.